Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ortho Visit

So today was our much anticipated Ortho visit. I get so nervous/worked up before these visits. Not only at the appointment but even to call and make them. We have been "quite" for 2 years now and I know it's going to change - just not sure when. Thankfully it's going to remain quite for now. Now the details.......We got to Dr. Mark's office and was in ahh. Their office is beautiful and very friendly. Once signed in we were showed the "game room" and Brett thought he was in heaven. This was the one time you wanted them to be late but they weren't. We went over all the paperwork with Lynne (who also has twins) and felt right at home. Cody was given some teeth molds to play with and he thought that was pretty neat. Dr. Mark came in and hit it right off with Cody. Some of the paperwork they had given us was a Favorite Things for the child. One question was "favorite music"....well at 4 do you really have 'favorite' anything....doesn't it change like all the time. So I had wrote "Wiggles". Although we don't watch them anymore he likes their music. Dr. Mark (who has 5 kids) instantly started talking about the Wiggles and Greg being his favorite. I shared my up-to-date knowledge about Greg. Then I laughed because it's not often you can talk "wiggles" with a doctor. Dr. Mark is great! Cody then sat and listened and followed direction while he was examined thoroughly. I haven't said yet but I am so proud of my little man. Then we all talked. Dr. Mark said he would do whatever we wanted based on our report from Syracuse. But he feels in his professional opinion it's best to wait a little bit. He said Cody does have a cross-bite although not severe. His midline is off just a little bit and actually shows characteristics of a unilateral palate instead of a bilateral. Which is better for fixing. He said really only one side of the palate would need to be expanded. It does make sense as Cody's gum line was only split on one side and not both. He said Cody has good strong jaws.....he is missing his incisor at the cleft spot, but may have an extra one in the palate itself. He could see his adult teeth (from the xray) and is actually thinking he may need teeth removed in order to fit all of his teeth in his mouth. He really recommends not doing anything now and would like to monitor his growth over the year and see us back next year.

I do agree with everything he said. I trust this doctor as I have seen his work. We will though keep our other Ortho appointment for October 1st in Syracuse to see what is suggested then. If both doctor's concur then we will stay local and see Dr. Mark. If not, well then I'm not sure what I'll do as I will be totally confused. Probably will discuss it all with Dr. Tatum to see what he says.

But man...can I say one more time how proud of Cody I am. He got a few ants in his pants as the doctor and us were discussing things and Lynne asked if he wanted to go to the playroom. Off he went - by himself - when we went out he was playing with a friend. He just "goes with the flow" of things. Never complains and is such a trooper. Made my heart very proud of him!!

No comments: