Most people are probably thinking "oh gosh what did those boys say now"...but this actually has a little different twist to it. It was a cleft comment, by a kid, but still hits me right in the chest. I don't know if I will ever get used to it. Nor do I think I should get used to it. Maybe the hardest part was it was said right to me while I was holding Cody and Cody looking into my eyes and I was trying so hard to keep it positive when my heart was crushing. So the conversation went like this:
Kid: "Are they going to fix his nose"
Me: (Feeling like somebody just punched me as I wasn't expecting this at all) - "yes, the doctor will do more surgery"
Me: The other side of me: "What is wrong with his nose you little brat"
Kid: "where did he get those scars"
Me: "he was born with a cleft lip and palate and had to have surgery and the doctor sewed his lip together."
Kid: "yah I remember seeing him with his lip like this"...then she took her finger and pressed it up.
I had to get up because I honestly had a hard time with this. I do realize it was a kid and they don't know what to say or even how to say it. That doesn't mean it's any easier for me. You can be 1 or 100 and I still don't like it. Now I know I have no choice - this was a rode chosen for me. Maybe it's the timing - we see the craniofacial team on July 2nd and even though it's just over a month away I still think about it and what is yet to come. I am a planner a like to know kind of girl a hate surprises person - so this waiting and seeing and long process is a killer for me.
This will get easier or so I hope so. It might not of been so bad had Cody not been right there but then again he's probably going to be around for these type of comments. He was just looking at me and me at him and he was just looking into me to see what I said. I guess I just never want to let him down.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ok, I am crying. Who was this kid? Just random or someone who knows Cody? Their parents should be ashamed...you don't let your kids ask that kind of stuff. I guess I am just defensive because that breaks my heart. I don't care what anyone says, he has the cutest face and when he smiles... you forget everything that he has been through! Good response on your behalf, I would have had to get up and leave as well. Love you guys!
I'm with you Kelly. I hate wait and see, but I've had to accept it with Jack.
And ya know what I hate, is when people say, "Oh his lip looks SO GOOD!" Like it looked horrid before. I know I know, they are well meaning, I'm just sayin, I hate it.
I look at him all day, and don't see it, then I we pass a mirror, and I can see his flat little nose, and the way his scar rises up on one side.
I don't think we'll ever get used to it.
Post a Comment