Monday, March 3, 2008

No More Speech!!!!

Yeah - after 4 years, Cody has been cleared from speech. I took him to Syracuse today to see Eileen (the team ST). He did great and practiced his words and she concluded that he doesn't need speech therapy anymore. He is making some age appropriate mistakes that any 4 year old makes. He has a harder time with /s/ and /z/ but those aren't going to be fixed until his palate is expanded. She wants us to come to the team visit that is at the dental clinic so the dentist can start working up a plan with him. She mentioned maybe that they would expand his palate sooner than normal. What that would involve is a device put on his teeth and we would have to turn the screw a mm a night. Looks like we'll go in July.

I am super proud of my Cody. As he slept in the car ride home, I drove and cried. Just thinking of those first few weeks and wondering if he would ever talk. I've watched him as he would work on his words, every week, with no fuss. I saw him making improvements. To hear others compliment him is wonderful! To see his hard work pay off is priceless.

No comments: