Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Reflecting Back: My Pregnancy with Twins

Getting pregnant wasn't exactly easy. Brett and I tried for over a year to do it naturally but it just wasn't going our way. So we went and saw a fertility specialist and after many test, many procedures we found out we were expecting just after my birthday in 2003.

We were on vacation when the doctor's office called us and wanted me to come in for additional blood work. I thought it was a little odd but whatever. Brett started to joke that we were having triplets. He is very glad he was wrong! After additional blood work we found out we were having TWINS!

I started going to the doctor every 2 weeks. The babies were referred to as Baby A and Baby B. It wasn't long before I started to show. I quickly out grew my bed as there just wasn't room for 2 people in it. My step slowed a little. But I loved being pregnant. Sure it was tough work but so worth it all. I had all the normal test, lots and lots of ultrasounds. One little scare when the test came back showing Baby A could have spina bifida. I got the news at work and just cried. I went back to the doctor for an ultrasound and we double checked the spine and all was well. I relaxed some! :) Around 20 weeks we had the ultrasound to find out the sex. Baby A cooperated first - It's a boy! It was another couple weeks before Baby B also showed - It's a boy! 2 boys! I stopped working at the beginning of December. I had had enough and couldn't take the pressure to get up. That first week off I ended up in the hospital with severe back labor. They kept me over night. Gave me drugs to stop the contractions. I met with the NICU staff as the babies would of been very little. They gave them each a shot to speed up their lung development. By the next morning I was sent home on bedrest. I spent the next several weeks on the couch, which had become my new bed as well because lying down was impossible. I did nothing...only going out for the weekly doctor appointments. We just waited...and waited...and waited.....

No comments: