As if Brett's surgery hasn't given me enough to think about - Tyler decided I needed more. Monday night, Brett took Tyler to his bed. He woke up and started to cry and told Brett his hand hurt and that he wanted tylenol. The rest of the night he was very restless. Tuesday as we were up very early to get to the hospital, Tyler woke as well. He was crying and said his hand hurt. He got more tylenol and I told my mom I would check in after we got to the hospital. Throughout the day he seemed fine. Using it some, sometimes favoring it, nothing was consistent. I called back later in the day and he had another rough wake up from his nap so I called the doctor. Since I was at the hospital with Brett, we made a late appointment. I dropped Brett off and picked up Tyler. Dr. M checked him all over and didn't really see anything. Tyler at that point wasn't saying it was hurting. Weird! So he said to watch it and let him know how the night went. Well......the night didn't go as well as I hoped. Started about 12:30 and he woke up crying. We did tylenol and I slept with him. He tossed, turned, moaned, cried, grabbed his hand, I held him for 2 hours and that seemed to help. So this morning, I called the office and they said we should have x-rays. We went to the hospital and he did awesome! Totally turned the charm on for the tech. Sat perfectly still and she got her pictures and then he got lots of cool toys - including a tattoo! The scans were ordered stat so we sat and waited to talk with the doctor. Good news - no break! Bad news is that we have no idea why his hand hurts. Doctor said it could be a hair line fracture that the x-ray didn't pick up. It would in about 2 weeks with the growth of new bone but I'm just hoping that's not it. He said to see how tonight goes and if we have a repeat of a bad night that tomorrow we can do blood work to test for an inflammation somewhere.
So....time will tell!
I just want my boys healthy again. We have 10 days till 2 little boys turn 6~~~~ and we need to P.A.R.T.Y!!!!!
UPDATE
I called the doctor's office this morning and wouldn't you know our doctor wasn't working today. I explained to the nice lady at the desk our "issue" and she said...Dr. M will be in on Tuesday. UM yah, you must not of heard me - I am NOT waiting till Tuesday. So she said she would pull the chart and I stressed to her to call Dr. M. or have another doctor review it.
I called back about 1:30 and got the same "nice girl" (are you sensing my sarcasm just yet) and she says "oh darn it, Dr. M never did come in. Yah I was pretty sure he wasn't coming in this morning. I politely informed her that I was not waiting. The doctor and I had talked our next step was blood work and that's what I was doing. I gave her 20 minutes and told her I needed a call back as I was leaving work.
They called and as I thought - the other doctor followed Dr. M's order for blood work. So back to the hospital Tyler and I went this afternoon. I am slightly ticked we just didn't do this yesterday. He should of ordered x-rays and blood work - hoping that one of them will let us know what is going on. Tyler has never had blood work so this was a first. He did fantastic. He cried for a quick second but the girls taking the blood were excellent with him. They gave him his own glove to wear and then he got to hold the vial of blood as they changed them. (he had to have 5 vials taken). Then he got stickers and we were done. We should hear something back tomorrow. Just hoping for a peaceful night of sleep. It's the worst feeling not being able to help them.
UPDATE:
The doctor called us back this morning and went over the blood work. All blood work came back OK. They tested his white blood cells, tested for inflammation, thyroid (his TSH level did come back a little high at 4.54 - but normal range is .4-4 so it's just over), one other test not due back till Monday - but all in all - the blood work didn't give us the clue we were looking for. Now we are all kind of stumped. He had another long night of discomfort (this has been going on since Monday night). Her next thought would be sending him for a bone scan or an MRI. But instead they decided it was time for us to go see an orthopedist. Thankfully we got an appointment today.
Met with a great orthopedist. He was super nice towards Tyler and really helped take the edge off. He examined his thumb area and just said that the x-rays looked fine. He didn't see any break. He too said that there still could be a hair line fracture that we aren't seeing. He mentioned that there is a lot of cartilage in the hand and that it's possible that he tore some of it. So he recommended a brace to help stabilize the wrist/hand. Wants him in that for 2 weeks and then wants us back for x-rays. We see him on 1/28.
So after we left that office we headed back across town to the health supply store. I walked up to the counter and gave my script and the lady asks "do you have an appointment".....um no, didn't know I needed one. She asked "do you want one"....yah - right now! Duh!!! Well you might have to wait - whatever - I am not leaving here without a brace. So we sat and waited - no big deal. They had crayons and a cool water cooler that helped to fill Tyler's bladder. :) They fitted him for a brace and home we came. I have pictures that I will post. He looks so cute in it - but then again he looks so cute in anything.
All of this good work at the doctor's got him a new toy - he picked a matchbox car!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment