This time 6 years ago, I was settling in on the couch for my last night of rest being pregnant with twins. I had watched them grow on the screen, I had felt them twist, turn, hiccup, flop inside my belly. A feeling I LOVED with all my heart. A feeling I longed for after they were born. That closeness is amazing. I had planned what they were going to wear home, we planned what we would do if Brett was off reffing a basketball game, the due date game was complete and I honestly don't know who won it now but it was fun then. We knew our life was about to change - we were getting 2 babies and not just 1 (like normal people). Bottles were washed, clothes hung, crib made, the list goes on.
What I didn't know when I went to bed that night is that when I woke up on that Friday morning, I would have my water break. Only I didn't know it. It wasn't like the lifetime movies that I had grown to watch in my board em where the water broke and there was instant pain and labor. So I went back to sleep, got up and ate some cereal and then called my sister. When I told her what was up she nicely told me that she was hanging up with me and to call the doctor. So I did! They told me to "get to the hospital". I called Brett at work, the receptionist had been awaiting my call. They were all excited. I hung up from telling Brett to come home, that "it is time" and I went and took a shower, did my makeup and my hair. I was standing in the closet looking for something to wear when he rushed through the door. He ushered me along!
We got checked in and I got all hooked up to monitors. A little more equipment because of 2 babies and the fact I was only 35 weeks along. We called my parents and they quickly got in the car and made it out here in time. They were lucky though - because of that cereal I ate and having a c-section (because baby A was breach) I had to wait.... With that waiting I got to feel labor pains. They weren't fun! I have more vivid labor pain memories from when Tyler was born. Brett got suited up and off I went to the OR. The family went to waiting room. (Here is where I should insert what they were thinking...maybe my sister will write that) Things started to move along quickly. I got on the table, my spinal done and all of a sudden I couldn't feel my legs. Blue drapes everywhere. Lots of people in and out. Brett at my head - neither of us talking as we were both so nervous and excited. The doctor tells me he has made his cut. I wait......I wait for that first cry....it didn't come.....baby A was out and out of the room he went. We had agreed that Baby A was to be named Cody James. We did know that the babies would be taken out of the room to go to their own little team of NICU staff to check them over and make sure they were doing OK. So I got past the "no cry" and waited to hear of Baby B out - he cried! Out of the room he went. Baby B was to be named Dylan Thomas. A few seconds/minutes went by and they came to get Brett. He left. I was a little jealous he was seeing them first. What I didn't know was that he got "the news" before me and all by himself. The babies were both doing great. Breathing on their own and they looked good.......except......Baby A was born with a cleft lip and palate. WHAT?!?! He went to see them and shed a tear or two for his sons. Then he wheeled them into me.....Cody in front/Dylan behind him........."what is wrong with his lip". Gosh, I'll never forget those words. Brett told me what was wrong.....I cried....I looked away and I threw up. I went to recovery to be by myself...wish I didn't have to be....I had no idea what was happening with them......Brett walked with them down the hall to our family waiting.......
Here they come....
Dylan.....Cody
To be continued......
No comments:
Post a Comment