I got out of recovery and headed to my room. By this time the family had seen the babies and were watching them through the nursery windows as they cried out about having to be weighed and such. It wasn't long and they brought them into me. My first moment "really" seeing my boys. I didn't know what to think. I was numb - I was excited but this is NOT what I thought I would be feeling like. I looked at Cody and his lip that was pushed up into his nose and honestly had no idea what our future held. Would he even live? Nurses were coming in, my family there and Brett and I just looking at each other. Everybody was telling us the same thing..... "he's going to be OK...they can fix that". 6 years ago I felt like everybody was lying to me. I am almost ashamed to write it but I took to Dylan first. I held him, fed him and just looked at his little round face. Brett took Cody...he held him, feed him and learned first how to feed him. I really really remember the whole hospital stay and I felt very numb.
The next couple of days I went through the motions. We changed the first dirty diaper, we fed them lots, took them for their first picture....by the time of dis-charge I had gotten angry with my nurses for not showing me how to work Cody's bottles. That's when I started to take the bull by the horn. My sister had printed me out information about cleft lip and palate and I read that a little. I knew that we were going to make it.
So..... fast forward and my babies are now 6. Cody and Brett and I have gone through such a growing stage. We've gone through stuff that some parents never will. We've met some parents walking the same shoes. We've dealt with the people that think once his lip/palate surgery was over - that he is all fixed. Only wish it was that simple. He's had to grow up a little quicker. He is the best little patient and we don't sugar coat it much for him. He's taught me that no matter what you look like...you are still a person and need to be treated that way. He really will never know what he has taught me. He has a smile that will brighten a room. And the biggest eye lashes that will make any girl jealous. He's caring and understanding. Dylan is the best big brother ever. Or maybe is it little brother seeing as though Cody is a minute older and trust me that does come up! :) Dylan is our teddy bear. He is rough and tumble one minute and sittin on my lap, cuddling the next. He is his daddy through and through. I love his little dimple when he smiles. He has a love for the out-doors that I'm thinking he didn't get from his parents. Both of them are amazing! Their likes, dis-likes, at times they are so much alike and at time they are completely different from each other.
Happy 6th Birthday to our boys!
Friday, January 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment