Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pearly Whites

Cody went to the dentist today. He had some very sharp front teeth due to his crossbite and his bottom teeth wearing down the top. So the dentist filed them down and they are much better. She said that we need to maintain those teeth for as long as we can. She said that putting caps on them would not work because of his crossbite - he would just pop them off. She agreed that he is ready for the palate expander and to proceed with the orthodontic. Which we have already had an initial meeting but we left it back in October to start up in the Spring. So I guess Spring has Sprung.

I have had much anxiety over this next step of our journey. Not sure why.....maybe because it can be lengthy, costly in many ways....not sure. But I have totally put off calling to get our appointment. I faced that fear today. I called and spoke with the office to see what she thought. I told her I want to pursue Medical insurance first and foremost as this is medical and not dental. She said that while it can be a fight on there end and my end, take some phone calls, a couple letters from the doctors, submitting pictures, she said they have had great success in getting claims paid for by medical and at little to no cost to the families. So that was very refreshing to hear. She pulled Cody's chart....we go June 15th for some x-rays, pictures, and a mold and to discuss what appliance will best suite Cody. So while I have that to think about now.....I do feel a little better about the financial side of it (for now)

While at the dentist today, she checked Cody's mouth any loose teeth. We don't have any yet. But I used that opportunity to talk with her about Dylan's. Dylan has a loose one on the bottom but also has an adult tooth coming in behind the tooth next to it. She said that we will wait for the adult tooth to get about a 1/2 way up and then if the baby tooth in front still hasn't come out, they will look to pull it. We see them in a couple months though for a cleaning so we'll address it then.

No comments: