Cody had his first visit back with the endocrinologist since starting his medication today. I was very anxious to hear the results of the blood work and really hoped and prayed that his levels got better and not worse. My prayers were answered. His TSH went from a 9.06 to a 2.45 Yeah!!!!! The doctor said had we caught this when he was born (I've sort of got issues with that statement) then he would be looking to pull Cody off the medication at about this age. However, he said that if we can stay at this dose and the blood results to continue to come in within range - then he will look to take him off the medication in a year at the earliest. Cody was sort of sad to hear he has to still take the pill. I just explained that it's making him feel better and it's important that he takes it. There just is no wavering on this - it's one of those big boy things he just has to do. No rewards for taking it, no chance that if he just doesn't get a reward he doesn't have to take it, no questions.
Some days I really hate that I have to take the grown up attitude with my 5 year old! :( But I was extremely happy that his levels have come down and the medicine is working!
So back to the statement I have a problem with. How the h-e-double hockey sticks was I supposed to know when he was born that he had a thyroid problem. He sort of had other, more serious problems when he was born. And even after that, I am so unsure as to what symptoms would of given it away. After all, in the end I was the one who said "something isn't right", but I was also feeding off of Cody and his ability to "talk" to me. Then I was the one who went to the doctor and asked them to test his blood. Then I kept insisting we see a specialist. So a part of me is sort of beating myself up that I didn't catch this sooner - but the other part of me is saying "you go girl" for not giving up, not backing down, and getting Cody on the right path.
So now we are onto other things. Next Monday, both Cody and Dylan have an eye exam. At their check up they didn't do so good. Today, I talked with the school nurse and she said that when she tested them in October they both had a 20/30 vision...which is pretty good for their age. So I don't know. Now I am really confused! Monday will be a tell all I guess. Then next Friday, we head to an audiologist for an in depth hearing test for Cody. That one has my stomach in knots! Stay tuned!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment