So hard to believe that the weekend is ending and it's back to work tomorrow. I've been unpacking since Friday when we got home and still have things to do. I realized that I never wrote anything about the reason why we went to Las Vegas - and that was for the conference.
The conference was wonderful. So many great speakers. Brett and I were especially interested in dental and one thing we know is every team does the repairs a little different. It was great to talk with dentist in Las Vegas that has the same timeline as our team here. Always reassuring! We got to hear a lady from the CDC talk. While she informed us that they are working on finding what causes a cleft - after her hour long speech they really aren't much closer to finding out why! Sometimes that is the hard part to swallow - why? But you can't live in that. Then we listened to 2 authors speak. Both had a craniofacial condition - one spoke of her journey and the other used his humor to tell his story. The he taught us how to tell our story. They both have published books so I am so anxious to find some free time and get reading. There was a doctor from the University of Florida (first mistake according to Brett) that spoke about VPI. While this doesn't pertain to Cody he was still interesting to listen to. Although he was older and got off topic quickly. Must be a Gator thing! :)
What the conference also brought was time to reconnect with "old" friends and make new ones. Seeing as though we have gone for 2 years everybody was anxious to meet Cody and Dylan. They on the other hand was not so sure about everything. Very overwhelming to 4 year olds to have a lot of strangers come up to them. They warmed up in their own ways. The boys attend Kids Camp while we were in the conference. They cried when we dropped them off but only for a minute. Another Mom went to check on them for us and they were fine. They never fought us about going so I knew it was just that initial separation. They did crafts and played games! They are still talking about it so I know it wasn't all that bad.
I however, thoroughly enjoyed seeing my old friends again. Some of these ladies are more friends than the friends I have. I guess only because we truly understand each other. Debbie, Joyce, Robin, Karen, Gina, and many others. Thank you for a great week! Karen was my god send....she checked on the boys for me, she loaned me some Valtrex for my cold sore that just had to make it's appearance while on the trip. I'm super excited for our family day in August to see Debbie again and for her to meet my family!
We had a great time - Brett ended the conference by spending it with the gang out by the pool until 3 am drinking some cocktails. To bad we only see these people once a year but it certainly doesn't feel like that. It feels like we see them once a month! That is what family is all about and I consider them all our family!!!
I can wonder all I want "why" we were given a child with a facial difference but I know why in my heart!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment