Monday, June 15, 2009

Ortho Visit - 2 week count down

Cody and us went to Syracuse today for a meeting with the orthodontist. This trip was for pictures and measurements and discuss what type of appliance he will get put on and when. He did fantastic - he always does fantastic. At times I really hate that he has to be so grown up. I really had no idea what the visit was going to be like so it was hard to prepare him for it. They first got out this tackle box looking thing filled with all different size metal rings. The rings are made to go around the molars and will be the anchor for the appliance. After about 6 different tries - we found our number. #30 in size. (whatever that means) Putting these on did not look pleasant and as I am standing from a far telling Cody it will be OK and reaching my hand into him - did I want to snatch him out of the chair and call the whole thing off. Do we have to fix his mouth? I know we do but........SO then we moved on to a mold. That didn't look pleasant either. His mouth was full of this foam/cement and trying to breath out his tiny nostrils wasn't working so they had him panting like a dog and that worked. We just had to keep reminding him to breath. He did a great job and was rewarded with a new bakugan.

Dr. Scott said that we won't have a typical palate expander in his mouth. This one will be stationary with no screws for us to turn. Which is best for Cody and us as far as maintenance. Yeah....all we will need to do is keep his teeth brushed and the appliance clean. Doesn't seem to bad. He said that the back of his palate doesn't need expanding as it's got a good shape - it is just the front of his palate that has collapsed like a "V"....so the appliance will turn that into a "U". He will have to wear it for 9 to 12 months. It will have a spring like movement to it and will work somehow. Great explanation huh? LOL....I have no idea how it will work as I have no idea what it looks like. He is making one.

I have to say I really love this dentist. He is WONDERFUL with Cody. In the way he talks with him......telling Cody he is "his helper", "handsome", giving him encouragement. That is exactly how a pediatric doctor should talk to his kids. Then as he was talking with Brett and I and answering our questions and explaining things I could see how he already knows what he will do and where Dr. Tatum will pick up. The two obviously work great together and the two sides just mesh together. Such a great feeling to have.

Now the mommy nerves will take over for the next two weeks. We go back to Syracuse on 7/2 and his appliance will get put on. He said for the first few days he will need to be on a liquid diet until he feels like eating regular. He said it's hard for the kids to understand it's OK to touch the wires with their tongues but once they do they tolerate it well. I can get sick to my stomach just thinking about him putting this on and not knowing 100% how it is going to feel. I can say "It's OK" but I really don't know that. I need to figure out a way to tell him what is going to happen but am not sure how. He looks at me with those big brown eyes and I can see the questions. Honestly I am NOT looking forward to that day...7/2....but the 3 of us will get through this together as we always do.

No comments: