But I just can not forget the face that we welcomed into the world. This sweet face.
Ok, who am I kidding.....there were days that didn't want to look past his eyes. I didn't want to see his lip that way. And yes...I'm ashamed to even type that but it's how I felt at times...not all the time, just sometimes.

That first surgery (6 years ago today) is a memory like the day they were born. A memory that I will never forget. So far there has only been two of those moments. The lip and palate surgery....I remember the other 2 but not as vividly. I remember it took 5 hours. I remember the doctor coming to talk with us and telling us that surgery went well and that one of us could go see him. I hated that both Brett and I couldn't go. But we both knew I was the one going. I followed the nurse and rounded the corner and heard him crying. I had NO IDEA what he was going to look like....this was not what I was prepared for!

So much bruising and blood. That sweet little face. I wanted the cleft back....He just looked like he was in so much pain. We got up to his room and he was hungry. So Brett prepared the formula and I held him. He would fill a syringe up and I would slowly push it into his mouth. He ate like a champ. Night time was rough. He wanted no part of his crib. So I held him in my arms and we slept. The nurse didn't like it but I really didn't care. We left the next morning to come home. With this surgery also brought us the first time we were away from Dylan. I hated leaving him behind.

We got home and everybody was so anxious to see him. Recovery got better every day. A few days later the
steri strip came off and you could really see that new little face. I loved it. I couldn't help but kiss it. He now had 1 whole lip......

Over the years his face has changed and his scars have evened out. Most people look at him and don't even see the scars. I look past them now but at times I still see that wide smile of his. I will never forget where we started on this journey......
No comments:
Post a Comment