Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ortho Visit - 8 months

It all started a couple of nights ago. I noticed that Cody's top wire had moved and that all the bonding was gone. The wire was in front of his top tooth. I asked if it bothered him and he said no so I decided to watch it as we were due for our checkup in a couple of weeks. Well yesterday after school he complained all day that it hurt. I looked at it last night and didn't think we could make it to our next appointment. I tried to push it back behind his tooth but could not get it to stay. He said it hurt and I noticed that is was poking his lip. I called our ortho office this morning and they got us right in.
I talked to Cody about it last night. After he finally settled down and let me explain things he said he understood why he had to go. He knows that when the wire gets moved it hurts and honestly who wants to have pain. So once I picked him up from school today *early* he was so upset he had to go. We came home to pick up our goodies and he just sat on Brett's lap and cried. All the way to Syracuse he would pipe up and say "mommy, if I let you move the wire, will you turn the car around". Finally we made it and he cried like I've never seen before when we reached the parking lot. The "mushy" mommy wanted to sit in the back of the car with him and cry too. Just cry to get it out..cry to say damn it this isn't fair...cry because I hate to see him cry or in pain ...cry because at times I HATE this road we are on. However, the "mommy in the armor suit" showed up and I let him cry for a few minutes but then I told him that I wasn't turning the car around and we weren't leaving the parking lot without going to see Dr. D. So he got on his coat and we went inside.
He really wanted to play but after we visited the bathroom and brushed his teeth, they were ready for us. This time he picked a stuffed animal from the arch and in the room he went to watch Nick. By the time Dr. D came in he was calm and he did FANTASTIC! I was so proud of him. Dr. D cleared away some old bonding and re-positioned the wire. He said that his upper tooth is sloped on the back and that I wasn't going to be able to just pop the wire behind the tooth. (That made me feel good that we didn't do the drive for something I could of done at home) He said his top two teeth are loose but no idea when they will be ready for the tooth fairy. As he was working he had Cody bite down and he said to the tech "appliance is doing it's job but isn't going to finish it".........OK.......I let that go and let him continue to work. When he was done - I pounced! :) I asked him what he meant and he said that the appliance we have in now is moving teeth and widening the front but won't complete the job. When Cody's top 6 year molars come in he will change the appliance to the type where we will turn a key every night and he will hook the head gear to it to bring his jaw forward. Right now though Cody is just getting his first bottom molar so not sure on when the change will happen.

I was really really hoping we wouldn't have to do the jaw part of this...or have to wear the head gear. I have no idea about that and will be doing my part to hook up with parents who have "been there/done that" as that is the best way to learn. (So if you are one of them reading this - we need to talk! :) ) I think about Cody's anxiety issues and can't imagine what the next step will be like for him. Just hoping that with time and age he will be able to understand more. Of course I won't talk to him about the next step until it's time and we have dates in mind but that doesn't mean I won't be thinking about it. I need to prepare myself first. It just hit me hard tonight. Maybe it's because we have "family" that I think truly believes that once Cody turned 1 and had his palate fixed that all of his issues went "bye,bye".....they truly suck at giving support. Thankfully it's a small part and can be over looked. So yah, I had a pity party tonight. All I can say is that yes, what we have happening in our life might not be the "worst case out there" and there is always somebody "worst"...but darn it - this is the worst for "our" family. This is what we know. This is what I know and I know I have to keep it together and keep it strong to get Cody through it all. So I will blog, I will cry to those that lend me an ear, I will hug my mom as she cries too, I will talk to my sister and get my strength back, I will sit with Brett's arms around me and know that we will get through this and Cody is going to do just fine!

Here is his bite 8 months into the palate expander.....

No comments: