Thursday, July 2, 2009

Palate Expander is on

Today Cody got his palate expander on. Since our last ortho visit I have talked with Cody - not every day - but at different times to try and get him to understand just what was going to happen. Last night the anxiety came to head and he cried. As best I could, I held back my own tears and told him everything would be OK.

Our morning started out at 6:30 as we got in the car for our hour and a half ride. As we were pulling into the parking lot he got that "look". We got him dressed and went inside. He didn't want to play and I could see the tears coming. Thankfully Brett was wish us cause lord knows somebody had to be brave and not cry. To see Cody cry broke my heart. We've been so quite in this journey of ours and now to start a new chapter and one that Cody will remember, it got the best of me at times. So Brett and Cody played with some ball game on the wall and I chatted with a mom who was there for their first visit - her son is 2 and was also born with a cleft. Next came our name in the rotation and Cody went to the bathroom for the 3rd time. That allowed me time to tell the nurse and doctor that he was having some anxiety with this.

Well I love our ortho - Dr. Scott - He sat Cody in the chair, gave him his mold of his teeth and told him to keep em to "show em off"....then showed him how the appliance was going to work. Cody got very emotional and Dr. Scott asked him to tell him what was wrong in his big boy voice. Cody said he didn't want to be there and didn't want that in his mouth. Dr. Scott worked his magic and in it went. It didn't take long. The office has a reward program. So Cody received his special tie dyed t-shirt to wear on future visits. He was also given a raffle ticket and after 3 raffle tickets - he gets a big prize. Then our name is in a drawing for a Target gift card. We headed out and went to McDonald's. Luckily, this is just down the street and we will get to know it well I am sure. Sad thing to a 5 year old though is they don't serve french fries at 9:30 in the morning. He wanted eggs and bacon so we got him that. I think he ate about a 1/2 a piece of bacon but did drink all his chocolate milk.

Upkeep tonight has been tylenol every 4 hours, he's had milk shakes, eggs, toasted cheese sandwich. His activity has been great. I've not noticed any big changes in speech. I've read that some people can tell immediately but he's doing very good so far.

My surprise came tonight when the phone rang and I saw on the caller ID that it was the doctor. He called to check up on him and make sure he was doing OK. That means sooooooooo much to me. He told me to give him a squeeze and tell him he was very proud of him. He told me to watch the next couple days as he may complain of his teeth hurting as the teeth are starting to move. So we'll keep tylenol on hand and more milk shakes.

We go back on 7/29 for another check up. Dr. Scott said the appointments will get easier and easier from here. I have pictures - just not tonight.

No comments: