We had a great night tonight. All the kids had a great day playing outside - even Cody. He was actually the first to be dressed and wanted to go out and play. Yeah! He had a great day. Tonight we met my sister at Friendly's for dinner and then went to the grocery store so they could pick snacks out for our trip to OC. While there they each got a plastic bag and could pick from the bins. Cody did mention at one time, "it's OK mom I know I can't have anything gummy." I didn't say anything but found him some "cool" other kinds that he could have.
We get home and it's time for bed and yep, the tears started again. I have to say not as bad as last night. He's asleep as I type. There was no throwing up this time but he had 3 trips to the bathroom. He became very teary eyed and I tried to divert it to something else. He wanted to be held - so I held him and then I think his eyes just wanted to close so he said he wanted back on his pillow.
I asked him if something was wrong. He tells me "no"....but then why all of a sudden are we having night time issues. We haven't had them before. I've done some searching today on the internet but I'm not a doctor. I don't want to jump to conclusions......but I sometimes can't help myself. He has a lot of the symptoms of PTSD.....but is it really that? Can just getting a palate expander on cause that? And if so, what on earth are we in for when he has an actual surgery again. I don't even want to think of it. I'm not saying he has it....and maybe this will all pass. Maybe we have hit a bad week for some reason.
This is from one website I found:
A child with PTSD may also re-experience the traumatic event by:
- developing repeated physical or emotional symptoms when the child is reminded of the event (while I don't remind him that he got on the palate expander every day - he is reminded of it when he has to make choices about his eating. He just can not have anything sticky in his mouth. He is reminded of it everytime he moves his tongue. It's in his mouth - how can he not be reminded of it everyday)
Children with PTSD may also show the following symptoms:
-losing interest in activities
-having physical symptoms such as headaches and stomachaches (just stomachaches to the point of throwing up at times)
-showing more sudden and extreme emotional reactions
-having problems falling or staying asleep
(these 4 things he has to some degree.)
Oh heck...I don't know. If anybody can shed some light - I am all for it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment