Cody had both his yearly craniofacial team visit and his first orthodontic visit since getting his palate expander on yesterday. We had a long day in Syracuse but it yielded good results. I'll break it down by visits.
1. First we met with Dr. Tatum's staff as he was performing an emergency surgery. The lady who first looked in Cody's ears said "tubes are great". I got a puzzled look on my face and said "really?" Cause we were just here in March due to ear issues and Dr. Tatum said tubes were on there way out. I got back to the waiting room and told Brett I didn't exactly trust that opinion. The other's wanted to talk about all things in the distant future and to be honest they were things I knew and things that I never even asked about. She felt the need to tell me that they can't fix his nose until his finished growing. Some days I feel smarter than them. (Sigh)
2. We met with Eileen in speech. I was very curious what she would offer about his speech since getting the palate expander on. He repeated his phrases (even the one when she said "speak up nice and clear cause I'm getting old"). She said a few of his sounds 'ch'/'sh'/etc are a little garbled but it is due to the expander and it will get better when that comes off. He should have no lasting speech issues from the expander. No air escaping out the nose still - good news! So over-all she was very impressed with him and his speech! Yeah!
3. Then came hearing. They checked his ears and said tubes were OK although they said they couldn't see them as clearly as the first person made it out to be. He passed his hearing test with flying colors and we were out of there.
4. Next up were pictures. They take lots of pictures of all different angels for their records to help them watch his growth. This time the photographer said "not for the cover". Meaning - he is the same guy that took Cody's pictures before for the craniofacial brochure that he is on.
5. Met back up with Dr. Tatum and crew. This time a different outcome on the ear tubes. Yes they are in but they are not in straight but "funky" as the doctor put it and he told me to notify him of his first infection and we'll have to talk. (at this point the little person inside me wanted to scream I was right, but didn't) He was very impressed with the palate expander. All the students in the room got to take a peak too. I asked what is next and he thinks bone graft although we aren't sure on a time frame yet. Could be another year. He had us ask Dr. Dillingham to send over x-rays so he could take a look and then the two of them would talk. Dr. Tatum told Cody he is "double studly" for having that palate expander in his mouth. Cody just smiles! And it's always nice to have the doctor tell the room that this is their "poster child". I'm very happy that he stands behind Cody's repair. I completely agree but I am probably bias.
6. Our last stop of the day was genetics and really a complete waste of time. I realize it's important to see them to notify them of family changes but we have none. No new children, no illnesses, nothing. Just for him to tell me again that they have no idea why clefts happen and that there are no test to be done. Again, I knew this much. I swear the kid was just out of college. Sorry that is probably mean but at this point it's a huge waste of time. And Cody would of much rather been playing in the play room.
To finish out our doctor day, we met with Dr. Dillingham for our first visit. Cody wore his special t-shirt and got a raffle ticket. Then he had very clean teeth and appliance and he got another. Next time he gets a prize from the "big table" and prizes are very important when you are 5. Dr. D made a small adjustment to the wire. Then he used some bonding material to hook the wire to the tooth better. The tooth is small and doesn't give the wire a lot to push against. Cody wasn't pleased with having an adjustment made but handled it well. We didn't know he had to so therefore we didn't tell him and there was no time to get himself worked up over it. While that works I still like to be honest with Cody about what is going on. Dr. D congratulated Mom and Dad on great teeth cleaning. I'm sorry for that one I have to take the congrats away from Dad as he hasn't done any of it. Cody and I are a great little team and we have found what works to make teeth cleaning fun! We go back for another visit at the end of September.
In between visits we had a little bit of time and went over to the Carousal Mall. I've only been once and Brett has never been. We had a nice little lunch with Cody and let him shop around for a special prize for the day. He of course found another bakugan that we just HAD to have and then he was searching for a little something for his brother's too.
I didn't get to speak to anybody about his anxiety fears. He'll have a good day and I'll think to myself that everything is fine and it's just a phase but then other days something will rear it's head and I'll be lost. Yesterday we did good with the doctor visit - it came time when we went into the building and had to ride the elevator that he started to cry cause he didn't want to. We were pressed on time and there was no option for stairs and he just did it. And it was fine! We rode it down and he was fine. We were at the mall and went to go from one level to another - and went to take the elevator and OMG he LOST it. He cried and ran away from us - people looking at us like WTF - he did not want to ride that elevator. So we didn't. But I have no idea where that fear came from. So.....I still haven't heard back from the psychologist but will make another call as I think it's necessary.
We will see Dr. Tatum in 6 months unless something comes up with his ears and Dr. Dillingham in Sept.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment