Wednesday, August 26, 2009

1st day of Kindergarten Camp!

Today was the first day of Kindergarten camp. We got to meet the teachers, see the classroom, meet some friends and just help ease them into the whole idea of Kindergarten. They did great. I was kind of curious how I would decide on who to go with. So I asked them, Cody wanted to go with Brett so I went with Dylan. Dylan has Mrs. Matyas. As I left him at the table coloring, he had a little tear in his eye but there was no way he was letting it go. I got down the hall to Cody's room (Mrs. Cluck's) and saw Brett talking with the teacher. I peaked around him and Cody's face was as red as can be. So I held back my own tears and we chatted with the teacher a minute. I explained he was a twin and that this is his first time away. That seemed to put things in perspective for her. So we left and Cody did fine. Brett picked them up at the playground and they were having fun. They have talked about it all night and look forward to going back tomorrow.

Now my thoughts......standing in that hall way with them I couldn't help but flash back to the day they were born. These little 5lb babies with big eyes just starring up at us for us to guide into the little men they have become. I remember back to Dylan's baby days and his crying and his reflux and thinking those nights of "jiggling" would never end. Back to Cody's early days and wondering what his future even held for him. Would he even go to the same school as Dylan? (may seem like a dumb thought to some, but those that have walked my shoes know where I am coming from....I didn't know anything about his birth defect)......then I watch the two of them grow up. Watch them sit up together, crawl together, stand up at toys together, took those first steps together....brother's through and through. Yes they fight and now that they talk probably have said some things to each other but really have never been apart. They have during Cody's surgeries and Dylan has been caring and wondered when his brother was coming home. I remember how Cody healed from his palate surgery so much faster after he got home to his brother. So to have them stand in that hallway and know that in seconds they are about to embark on a new path - a separate path from each other was sad, exciting, proud, emotional.....all sorts of emotions wrapped into one. Yes they will still be brothers, yes they will still fight and nothing will change at home.....but during the day they will go to their own class, meet some new friends, be taught similar things just in a different way. I know they will do great. Yes I'll probably cry one more time on the first day of school but after that.....who'll have time!!!! I'll be super busy keeping up with 2 little boys in Kindergarten! YIPPEE!!!!!

No comments: